Saturday, October 24, 2009

why I write

I have been blogging for seven years, but under a different account. I feel like I'm cheating on my other journal when I write here. However, my sister has a blog here and she recently got married and moved away. I decided to start blogging here so that we are able to share news about each other better.

Of course, I can't think of anything to write about tonight other than yet more shopping rambling. Perhaps this:

We had a Teen Coffeehouse Night at the library tonight, and our theme was Doctor Who. For those who don't know, this is a long-running science fiction show featuring a time and space traveling "Doctor". The fourth season of the current series has an episode called Silence in the Library, featuring a library the size of a planet containing "a million million books." For obvious reasons I thought this would make for a nice movie viewing.

Of course, it also happens to be a very spooky episode featuring swarms of microscopic carnivorous creatures that live in shadows - "not every shadow, but any shadow." Our library is attached to an old house and I honestly think of that line every time I walk down to the dark basement as it is, but then tonight I had to walk through the library turning off the lights behind me ("Hey! Who turned out the lights?")

Overactive imaginations can be a blessing when it comes to writing, but a curse when it comes to real life.

Which reminds me that I'm watching a show called Castle right now. It's about an extremely popular mystery writer who joins forces with a police detective to solve murders. There is a scene in one of the episodes where Castle (the writer) is musing strange death scenarios and he bounces a question off his daughter - "How would you kill someone by using a freezer?"

The common TV reaction would be to have the listener make strange faces at him, back away slowly, etc. However, his daughter doesn't even bat an eye and just starts brainstorming with him. I don't usually watch murder mystery shows, but moments like that are what keep me coming back to this one. That is so writerly! LOL

1 comment:

  1. And I don't watch any scary shows because I watched some by myself in high school --- when there were dark and stormy nights. Now I don't even want to read a mild mystery during the day!

    ReplyDelete