I think I mentioned previously that I'm taking a non-credit German class this semester. It's just an introductory course, and I don't plan to go to Germany any time soon, so my logic was as simple as - "I like languages" and "I haven't taken German yet". That, and I wanted something social to do for a couple months.
I walked into class the other night, not knowing who my teacher was, and we looked at each other and said - "It's you!" She and I had worked in a bookstore together for a single summer ten years ago while we were both in college. It's been fun getting to reconnect with her.
To clarify the title of this post - it's what's generally agreed to be the longest word in the German language. It means "Danube steamship company captain." I still can't pronounce it, but it looks as fun as Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious and beats it by eight letters. Your trivia for the day!
Now I'm off to google some websites about learning German. You know, my family didn't get a computer until my senior year of high school, but it's been such an integral part of culture since then that sometimes I wonder what life before the internet was like...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Life before computers wasn't as much fun especially if your family lived far away. Email and blogs are such a wonderful way to keep in close touch with loved ones.
ReplyDeleteThe creation of computers & cell phones made life both simple & complex all at the same time. I enjoy them!
ReplyDeleteIt's funny the different ways we run into people.