I went by the library earlier today to drop off some new TAG applications. TAG stands for "Teen Advisory Group" and it was started a couple years ago to get teens more involved in the library. The idea is for members to make suggestions and help plan events that middle school and high school students would be interested in.
We've been building attendance our activities slowly, but the library's teen programming really took off during this year's summer reading program. We had anime viewings on Mondays, and we had programs on Thursdays that ranged from cooking workshops to book scavenger hunts. We also had a weekly teen coffeehouse night where the library was open after hours specifically for teen usage. During coffeehouse, we had theme nights such drama improvisation, or "Write Now", a night when the teens wrote a collaborative story using Twitter to take turns contributing. That night was funny because several girls kept trying to write a story about their favorite male singer, but a mischievous boy kept jumping in and writing that the singer suddenly went bald, got hit by a bus, etc.
Anyway, the actual programming is going well, but I still have to increase interest in the planning committee. We had been meeting twice a month with a couple regular members. In order to increase interest I'm going to switch to one monthly meeting for TAG - but we'll still have two opportunities a month for teens to go behind the scenes at the library. The second meeting won't be for TAG members, but for blog staff to create new content for the teen section of the library website. I'm marketing this committee to teen writers who would like an opportunity to be published. Teens can join either group or both.
Hopefully this will work out well! We'll kick off regular school year programming at the end of the month, so I'll find out then...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment